Saturday, March 24, 2012

Birthday Pies!

I am so blessed to have a sister and husband that enjoy cooking and good food as much as I do. So, last night was the eve of my birthday and they treated me to a dinner of pies. I love a good Lenten fish fry as much as the next guy, but, maybe the nice weather had inspired us to try something a little more on the healthy side. Pizza Pies! These weren't any old pizzas..... we made smoky vegetable pizza and classic Margherita pizza on the grill(the famous green egg).
So, she bought already prepared pizza dough from Earth Fare and topped it with the following ingredients:
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 bunch broccoli rabe
  • 1/2 sweet red pepper
  • 4 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced

First, sautee all the above vegetables in some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Next, spread 1 cup of marinara sauce on the rolled out dough. Then sprinkle 2 cups of shredded, smoked mozzarella cheese over the sauce. Lastly, scatter the above vegetables on top of the pizza.

Bake (or grill) on a pizza stone at 500 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes.
Heavenly Goodness..
Equally as delicious is the pie pictured below which we did not make. It is cherry and peach called the Sunshine Pie(very appropriate for the weather this week). It is from Greyhouse Pies in Westlake, Ohio. Words cannot express...... I think we will be fighting over this last piece today.

2 comments:

  1. Those pies look amazing! And I do love the sunshine pie but I think the apple caramel & pumpkin pecan are my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very delicious, I am gonna try this at home.

    Forzest online

    ReplyDelete