Sunday, February 12, 2012

Zucchini Enchiladas

Its February and the flakes are finally flying here in Cleveland. And the only positive thing I have to say about that is that it draws me into my warm kitchen. I am trying to incorporate more plant-strong cooking into my weekly meals. Its tough when you have a family of 4(especially when your 16 year old eats enough for 3) but we are taking baby steps towards it.

This recipe is from Cooking Light and I was really impressed with it. Everyone loved it and the meat was not missed. There is some cheese in this recipe but I think you could substitute a soy based cheese to make it vegan. The dairy has been the hardest thing to eliminate when incorporating plant-strong cooking. I'm sure it just takes some getting used to like everything else in life.

So, I'm not sure why this picture is sideways but this is the enchilada sauce cooking. The recipe for this is as follows:



Enchilada Sauce:


1 tsp canola oil


1/2 diced red onion


1 tsp minced garlic


1/2 organic vegetable broth


1 T chili powder


1 T honey


1 tsp cumin


1/2 tsp salt


1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes







Next, for the filling. Saute 2 cups of chopped zucchini and 1 10oz package of frozen corn for 5 minutes or until tender.



Then add a 15 oz can of black beans. I also added a handful of cilantro which was not in the recipe. I love cilantro in anything!





Next, you spread 1 cup of your enchilada sauce on the bottom of the pan. The recipe calls for whole wheat flour tortillas rolled. I went with the corn tortillas(since this is what was in my frig). I had to stack the corn tortillas like you are making lasagna. So, you sprinkle some shredded cheddar(8 oz total) on each of your tortillas and then top with about a 1/2 cup of your filling on each. Then I topped with another layer of corn tortillas.





Finally you spread evenly over the top with the remaining 2 cups of enchilada sauce. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.








Take a square and enjoy!

























2 comments:

  1. Honey in enchilada sauce, huh? How was that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good.... Usually when honey is added, its to cut back on the acidity of the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete