Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Root Cafe- back to my roots in Lakewood

Is there anyone in Cleveland who didn't start out living in Lakewood after they left their parent's house? It's sort of a rite of passage for us Clevelanders to live in a double or apartment after we've scored that first job out of school. I also had my first child and bought my first house in Lakewood. So, even though I wasn't born there, I still consider it part of my "roots". Some of my friends now say that Lakewood has become a bit too "edgy" for them. But, I still love it for its variety. It is always changing for better or for worse. I love that it is kind of a transition spot from suburbs to downtown. And it still has some of the best eateries in Cleveland. Including this place... The Root Cafe.




This cafe had me at hello. I loved the warmth of the place immediately. I love the artwork on the wall and the feeling that you have just been transported back to one of your favorite college joints. It is also vegetarian. They purchase much of their food products locally and some from community Lakewood gardens.






I had the toasted cheddar cheese sandwich with pesto and tomatoes. It was on a whole grain bread from the Breadsmith Bakery. It was very satisfying and reasonable at $4.50.

I also ordered a side of cabbage and cashew salad. It was tangy and crunchy and a bargain at $1.50.







I was too full to partake of the desserts, but, here is a sampling below. I hope to return soon for coffee and a treat. They have a large variety of coffee drinks as this was the former Phoenix Coffee shop transformed.



This has risen to the top of my list for hip places to meet a friend for lunch. I am glad to see things are still bustling in my old neighborhood, Lakewood, Ohio.



Happy Mothers Day to all my favorite moms!
















1 comment:

  1. I miss Lakewood! The west side though. I've been meaning to get to this place & Deagans.

    ReplyDelete